Radiant Barrier System
- Comparing September 1999 to September 2000, average peak attic temperature was reduced by 8°F after retrofit.
View detailed description of Radiant Barrier System
- Year-round daytime occupancy prevented homeowners from using daytime setback features of the thermostat.
- Homeowners found the programming very simple and used the thermostat for automatic winter nighttime setback.
- Installation was very simple and took about 15 minutes
- Even though it was not used to its potential, the thermostat provided a simple payback of 1.2 years
View detailed description of Programmable Thermostat
White LED Lighting
- Lighting was very directional and did not provide adequate illumination for the entryway in the existing fixture (550 lumens versus 860 lumens with incandescent).
- Homeowners did not like the limited amount of light in the entry and planned to replace the LED bulb after the study.
View detailed description of White LED Lighting
- Old 18 c.f. refrigerator consumed 931 kWh/yr; new 21.6 c.f. refrigerator consumes 574 kWh/yr for an annual savings of 368 kWh. The new refrigerator reduces air conditioning load by 81 kWh and increases heating load by 6 therms. Net annual savings is $36.50 with a simple payback of 2.7 yrs.
View detailed description of High-Efficiency Refrigerator
Vertical-Axis Energy Saving Clothes Washer
- Average load saved 1.5 gallons of hot water.
- Savings were lower than anticipated because homeowners washed the majority of their clothes in warm or cold (not hot) water.
View detailed description of Vertical-Axis Energy Saving Clothes Washer
High-Efficiency Air Conditioner without HCFCs
- New air conditioner was reduced by a half ton over previous system due to other energy improvements
- Energy savings of $290 (2,865 kWh and 22 therms) resulted from new HVAC system, resulting in a payback of 2.6 years.
View detailed description of High-Efficiency Air Conditioner without HCFCs
For more details see Table 11 in the Final Report in Resources: Energy Retrofit Measure Savings and Cost.
View evaluation method of these technologies